Indie Rock Tour
In this tour through Alphabet City and the Lower East Side, we'll examine how some of Manhattan's last artist-friendly neighborhoods nurtured the likes of the Strokes, Elliott Smith, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Regina Spektor, Le Tigre, Beck, the Magnetic Fields, and Anohni, and how the fruits of their successes ultimately pushed the music scene out of Manhattan entirely.
- Where the Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Jeff Buckley recorded their debut albums
- The neighborhood bars where Elliott Smith wrote XO and Stephin Merritt wrote the Magnetic Fields' 69 Love Songs
- Where James Murphy (LCD Soundsystem) began his DJ career and the DFA Records community came together
- The open mic night where Beck, Regina Spektor, King Missile, and the Moldy Peaches all started their careers
- Venues where the Strokes, Interpol, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Beck, Anohni, and Neutral Milk Hotel made their live debuts
- The apartments where Karen O (Yeah Yeah Yeahs), Stephin Merritt, and Jonathan Fire*eater lived early in their careers
- Legendary venues including Sin-e, Sidewalk Cafe, Tonic, Brownies, the Pyramid Club, Luna Lounge, Mercury Lounge, Meow Mix, and Cake Shop
- Sites relevant to neighborhood predecessors, including Beastie Boys, Debbie Harry, RuPaul, Nico, Madonna, Black Flag, Swans, and Bad Brains
- And much, much more!
We'll also discuss the history of Alphabet City and the Lower East Side, and how they remained staunchly bohemian for decades — until interest in the city and its music in the years following 9/11 ultimately pushed the indie scene into Brooklyn, where it struggles to exist to this day.
- Begins in Alphabet City and ends in the Lower East Side
- The tour lasts approximately two hours and covers two miles
- Comfortable shoes and bottled water are strongly recommended
- Gratuities are welcome but not mandatory
Check out this Spotify playlist to dive deeper into the music behind the destinations
$35/person (Sat & Sun)
- two person minimum -
in the event that only one person books a tour, they will be offered the chance to cancel or have a private tour for a slightly higher fee
Private tours and large group rates available by request